Disease, Health Communication, Men's Health, Uncategorized, Women's Health ,

Coffee… Good or Bad for Health?

I recently read an article that was published a few days ago in The BMJ regarding coffee consumption and health. I was curious to learn what the findings were, considering that I have heard mixed reviews over the years about the health benefits of coffee.

After conducting an umbrella review of over 200 meta-analyses regarding coffee consumption and health outcomes, Poole et al. (2017) found that drinking three to four cups of coffee a day was associated with lower risk of a variety of health outcomes. According to the article, researchers found that drinking three cups of coffee a day lowered risk for death and cardiovascular disease, compared to non-coffee drinkers. Coffee consumption was also found to lower risk of various cancers, as well as neurological, liver, and metabolic diseases. In women who are pregnant, however, high levels of coffee consumption were associated with higher risk of low birth weight, pregnancy loss, as well as preterm births. Additionally, coffee consumption was found to be associated with an increased risk of fracture in women.

A note that this study mentions is that current evidence on the topic of coffee consumption and health is mainly observational and of lower quality in nature. That said, researchers recommend that randomized controlled trials be used in future research to better understand causal associations between coffee consumption and various health outcomes.

Eliseo Guallar, professor of epidemiology and medicine at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health published an editorial in response to Poole et al. (2017). Dr. Guallar comments that while coffee drinking is generally safe, people should not start drinking coffee for health reasons. Dr. Guallar continues in stating that “some population subgroups may be at higher risk of adverse effects” of coffee consumption. Additionally, Dr. Guallar expressed the importance of the amount of coffee consumption, asserting that there remains uncertainty regarding the effects of higher levels of coffee consumption. However, Dr. Guallar expressed that moderate coffee consumption is safe and can be a part of a healthy diet.

References:

Poole, R., Kennedy, O.J., Roderick, P., Fallowfield, J.A., Hayes, P.C., & Parkes, J. (2017). Coffee consumption and health: umbrella review of meta-analyses of multiple health outcomes. BMJ 2017; 359:j5024. doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j5356 

Guallar, E. (2017). Coffee gets a clean bill of health. BMJ 2017; 359:j5356. doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j5356 

• Casey

Very interesting article! I wonder if the beneficial associations are due to the nutritional value of coffee or other variables like more energy or more alertness.

• Arshya Gurbani

Every time I see a publication about coffee I hold my breath and hope for the best–so far, it sounds like we’re in the clear-Thanks for summarizing for us!

• Josh Boegner

Love this post! As an avid coffee drinker, I always take a pause from sipping my daily dose when I see these studies, and I love how you show that the research done thus far has been observational in nature. I’ll just continue to hope that I fall into that “moderate consumption” category.

• Matthew Johnson

I also often wonder about the effects of coffee consumption; however, since there are so many different opinions on it, I tend to just pick the opinions that agree with my coffee-drinking habits. I’m glad that this research seems to agree with my current drinking strategies.