Health Communication, Health Promotion, Lifestyle, Recommendations , ,

The Magic of Mindfulness

Do you ever feel overwhelmed with work, can’t stay focused in class, or simply feel down most of the time? If so, you may have gotten caught up in the whirlwind style of functioning known as “multitasking.” It is likely that we all have at some point or another and for some, there is no way around it, so what can we do to combat the stresses of the busy lifestyles of 2017?

You shouldn’t have to uproot your whole working style or job just to find peace of mind. Today I’m going to propose a solution that you may have overlooked, mindfulness meditation. The following are the benefits that we know of today:

• Decreased anxiety
  • Decreased depression
  • Increased empathy
    • With decreased negative feelings like sadness, tension, and anger
  • Decreased stress
  • Increased focus
  • Decreased blood pressure
    • While also improving the transportation of oxygen and carbon-dioxide
  • Increased immune function

As you can see, mindfulness does a lot more than simply strengthen our ability to focus. While you will see some of these benefits after your first time, there is evidence showing that after 8 weeks of practice neurologists seen an increase in gray matter density in brain regions associated with learning, memory processing, and emotional regulation.

Mindfulness is just one style of meditation. There are myriad resources out there to help you get started, but Headspace is my favorite. Have you tried meditating before? If so, let me know your thoughts on the practice and your favorite style.

AB

• Chris Noronha

Great blog post, Andrew! Mindfulness meditation is such a great idea, but can sometimes be difficult for me to practice. I’ll often look for short deep breathing exercise or progressive muscle relaxation videos online also to help me with stress management.

• Courtney Luecking

Andrew – I too enjoy Headspace! I found (mostly) consistent practice helped me be present in whatever I was doing. And in spite of the limit of time for the various responsibilities of being student (and an actual human being), I found myself surprisingly chill about it all. I have gotten out of practice since my little one was born, and whether coincidence or causal, I have noticed a negative change in my response to all of life’s demands. Thanks for the prompt to get back at it!